Screen Readers & popup text modals

Q&A about the latest versions
hromain

I’m running some tests regarding accessible 360 experiences with P2VR. Recently, I’ve run into a problem when using a screen reader to parse the text in a popup hotspot.

Use Case: I’ve authored a hotspot with an action command to make another element (text box) visible on mouse click (basically a simplified text popup).

Problem: The screen reader can read the text on the hotspot fine, and I can use keyboard shortcuts to activate the hotspot and make the text popup visible. All good. However, once the text popup is visible, there’s no way to make the screen reader read the text within it. The text isn’t interactive, so I don’t want it to be tab indexable. I’d just like the screen reader focus to move to the text box and read it the same way it would read text on a flat webpage. Is this possible? Test project attached (I'm using Mac's native screen reader, VoiceOver)
Attachments
upload.zip
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
hromain

After further investigation, I'm wondering if it might be possible to direct the screen reader's focus to a popup by changing the popup's aria_hidden setting. However, I'm not seeing a logic block option for that setting. Is there another way to dynamically change the aria_hidden property?
hromain

Still been trying to chip away at this. I have read that screen readers can be programmed to read dynamic text by authoring the element with 'role="alert"', aria-live="polite" or aria-live="assertive" attributes. I'm not sure if the two latter options can be integrated with P2VR, but I've tested the former. However, when I program the text box with aria role 'alert' (not an option in the dropdown but can be authored as such), it still doesn't make a difference. I've also tested populating the text box on mouse click (with the Set Value action), but nothing happens there either. Updated project file attached for reference.
Attachments
update.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Did you get the support e-mail about adding the tab index of 0 to the text boxes?
The issue was that we set Keyboard access to open and close the information popup, but did not set it so you can tab to the title and information body text.
We will address this later in the default skins but you need to set Tab Index to 0 for these text boxes.
As you tab to the text box, the screen reader will speak its contents.
Note this is the same for all the Point Hotspot Title text boxes.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/