Existing skin vs custom built skin

Q&A about the latest versions
BostonRavi

I'm working on a campus tour with 8-10 stops. I've gone through a lot of the skin editor webinars and I'm trying to determine the best approach for the skin for this tour.

Option 1 is for me to build out my own custom skin utilizing components and custom built options. I worked at this for a while and I'm not completely convinced I can do this successfully on my own.

Option 2 is to use the provided skins, choosing one that is the most close to what I need and that offers the most flexibility via the "Edit Skin Configuration" option. (silhouette_v6 seems the most viable)

However, that skin has the message "Please use the skin configuration button to modify the skin" when I open the editor. I would love to be able to just add a button or two to the mini nav in that skin (like a pause/play for any narration audio.) Is that still do-able by modifying that skin? Or will I muck things up if i try to do that?
BostonRavi

I've had some good success modifying the silhoutte_v6 skin and using the other silhoutte graphics package that I found in another thread.

Main modification was to add an audio button that toggles node specific audio elements. Nothing earth shaking but was helpful to have the full skin to mimic how the other buttons were appearing/toggling in the controller.