Dimension/file size guidelines for cylindrical panos

Q&A about the latest versions
rpinkham

I am trying to determine dimension and file size guidelines for Flash-generated cylindrical panoramas.

Dave (360Texas) in a post Jan 2012 (http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... net#p26354) stated:
"For broad band internet connection visitors probably a finished Flash .swf file size is around 1.5 to 2.0mb."

However, Dave was addressing 6000x3000 spherical panoramas. As I am currently creating cylindrical panoramas, would the same 1.5 to 2.0 MB guideline apply to my SWF file sizes?

Here I am confused, as SWF file size is reduced dramatically when multiresolution is applied. Should I be looking at the SWF files size as a guideline, before or after applying (default) multiresolution?

I created three test panos from a master image which generated the SWF file sizes listed below:
"Small" - 3425x1000 (1,681 KB JPEG) - SWF: 1,020 KB - SWF w/ multiresolution: 106 KB
"Medium" - 6849x2000 (6,554 KB JPG) - SWF: 3,687 KB - SWF w/ multiresolution: 319 KB
"Large" - 10274x3000 (13,342 KB JPEG) - SWF: 6,997 KB - SWF w/ multiresolution: 576 KB

I am satisfied with the multiresolution load times (satellite connection, full screen on a 27" monitor) on all three panos, but obviously the larger size offers superior clarity, especially when zooming in.
On this basis, my solution would seem to be to upload the largest size to my website. But could I confront unforeseen difficulties? (I'm not concerned with dialups.)

In terms of scrolling, autorotate was not "satisfactorily" smooth on all three panos until I adjusted down to around 0.05 degrees/Frame (Frame rate set to 25). This gave a 360 autorotation time of over four minutes. I can't imagine a visitor sitting through a 360 degree scroll for this length of time, but in that jitter seems to be relatively independent of SWF file size, and I don't want to reduce JPEG quality any more than I already have, this may be something I have to live with.

An feedback would be appreciated.