definitive V4 settings

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

I've loaded up the new version of V4 to give it a whirl.

Are the definitive settings posted anywhere that address the issues I've constantly had with V4 compared to V3?
Right now I use the screen settings from the sticky of optimised screen res outputs.

I need to maintain the FLASH and HTML5 compatibility. My first testing of V4.0 beta made horrendously large .swf files. After some explanation this was reduced by externalising and ending up with many many files.
I need some smooth transition between HTML panoramas, not flash to black. Is this working and functioning on all browsers?

Basically, what's the smoothest way to create a V4 project that is as slick and a V3 project and maintaining cross platform/browser compatibility.

Anyone?

Cheers, Rob.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
As far as I know there should not be any differences between v3.x and v4.x. The only real difference was with Pro and loading the SWF with all the nodes of the tour.
This in its self was not a bad thing as after the first node was loaded the tour would run while still loading all nodes in the background.
The downside was the loader would still show until the complete SWF was loaded, if you had a small loader or not one at all for that matter then people would not be none the wiser.
Or using the multi resolution tab also sorts this out by removing the cube faces from the SWF. Yes you get lots of files but all in the output folder so again no big deal.

If you have problems with performance differences between the versions then can you please post some links up so I can take a look.

One of the other factors is since v4.x was released Apple also released iOS6.x.x. This caused a bit of a problem with current settings as it no longer does internal image compression.
Let me explain, with iOS5.x.x you set your image compression to say 80 and it was fine. This is because iOS5.x.x also performed image compression.
With iOS6.x.x 80 will slow down the tour and may crash mobile Safari. So now the image compression has to be around 70.

Not saying this is your issue but reading some posts I think this has played a major part in tour performance for others.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

Thanks for the feedback Martin.
I've had a play and so far I think i've a better handle on it now. I have to say though, the very media rich planes I have been doing really didn't like the V4 setup.
When the next jobs come in I'll have a gentle play again.

At the moment I'm going to limit V4 to the 'safe' stuff until I'm confident that I can throw it around like I do V3

Removing the loading bar is a good suggestion actually. It's a worrying sign to see that ticking away when in fact the pano behind it is active and loaded. Iù going to just bin it in future.

So far I've still left the image quality at 90 and had no crashes on this V4 sample. I'll have play there though to make sure there is no noticable quality drop. I'd rather slightly longer loading than go any lower on sharpness and quality.

This is a simple setup I made using V3 : Apartment tour V3

And this is the same tour set up in V4 : Apartment tour V4

The V4 version also contains an experimental popup with scroll-round function. This seems to work fine except on the iPad where the image loader isn't vanishing at the same time as the background once the popup is closed.

For this sort of tour, V4 does seem ideal. It's a lot quicker to set up for these standard and less demanding tours than V3. Next time I have fully loaded media bomb of a tour I'll give it a go if I have time.
As soon as that video pinning is sorted out and reliable (maybe it's been updated too) I'll give that a go again too, that looks a valuble tool for some of my clients.
I can't offer stuff to clients unless I know it's rock solid and flexble in both FLASH and HTML5. FLASH might be on the way out but the last thing I want is to be in the sitation I was in when I started doing 360s in QTVR. A royal pain in he buttocks was that.

Cheers, Rob