Object2VR Crashing after 12 states

Q&A about the latest versions
chrisborn

I'm cross posting this as a PM to thomas as well.

We have tried several times to reach the developers, including posts to the forum that have gone unanswered. There is a very reproducible memory crash in Object2VR that is creating a massive headache for a project we are trying to complete and why we purchased the application. The bug occurs on MacOS X 10.5 and 10.6 as well as the Windows version in XP. I have not had a chance to test the 64bit Linux version yet.

We have a human skull that has been photographed with the different skull bones highlighted making up 14 states. Plus one state for all highlight off, and another for all highlighting on. Essentially we have a 16 state VR object with 36 columns and 10 rows per state. We can get up to 13 states to build just fine, or any amount of states bellow that. As soon as we try to build 14, 15, or 16 states the application crashes at the very end of the SWF building phase. The application crunches through all the images then dies right as the SWF is being built with a BAD_EXEC memory error. This can be watched in the console. The application tries to access an object in memory that is no longer there. This error is consistent, across several different computers and OS installs. Believe me, we have tried everything to get this working as it is a major part of a project we are trying to complete. Every possible combination of settings have been tried. From turning all features off to turning everything on, and most combinations in between. We are not using skins, or any other features beyond needed a Flash Player 9 version, with no Scaling. We can give or take the zooming at this point. I just need to build a workable SWF.

I've tried this on clean OS installs, and one of my colleagues as spent countless hours in the office and late into the night trying ever permutation. We have reduced and rebuilt the images several times as well. Nothing, same crash, same place every time. Anything over 12 or 13 states and boom, dead in the water.

I can post console logs of the error if that would help, but it looks like some set of objects are being released to early and when the swf compiling takes place they are not available any longer.

I't would be great to get some feed back or input from someone. At this point anyone.
chrisborn

Does the developer actually ever read messages or his PM's. Still no response. This is ridiculous.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Yes I do, and I will look into this soon.
MfG, Thomas
chrisborn

Soon must be relative to your schedule and not that of your paying customers. We have been waiting on an answer for nearly two months. How about soon be now?
PhotoSpherix

I will preface this post with the fact that it is Friday evening and I have had more than 70 hours in this week, but....

You are pitching a B*itch about something that is not of the norrm.(I tried to get Objectvr to fry my eggs on a Saturday Morn, but the the mother F*ckin thing did no do what I wanted). Where are you coming from. You want a vr with 16 states in a rotation, but you think that software off the shelf should do what you want. I would more feel that you are someone else trying to pitch a b*tch about a GREAT version of software that does what an large amount of people want it to do.

I have been building vr's since the days of the first version of Apple's Vr Software. I am not sure it is(was, still use it from time to time) even able to think about a 15 level vr.

MAKE YOUR OWN AND GO AWAY!

On a softer note, really think about it from the developers side. You are one of many, and you have an un-realistic request for the software in its current build or that of any build coming soon.
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography
chrisborn

@PhotoSpherix

Really. wow look at the big mouth on you. Hey guess what, I am a software developer. Have been for 14 years. I very much understand the stresses and issues that come from support large products and even smaller independent ones. I don't need to justify anything to whoever you are. This product works very well, and does most of what it needs. However, nowhere does it say there is a limitation. It has an advertised feature with no *asterix stating this works but.... The point is not the quality of the product, but how long does it take to get a response from the developer. I am fully okay with the idea of waiting a reasonable amount of time for a response. The idea of "reasonable" has long since expired and turned into delinquency. Months of waiting for at least an answer addressing the issue is long enough for any customer to be "reasonably" upset.

You on the other hand, unless you are the developer or actually have a some insight to help resolve the issue should mind your own business go back to taking pictures which seems to be what you are good at.

Unfortunately I think our only recourse at this point will be to file a formal letter of complaint with PayPal. As the payment processor, and a company I have had to deal with many times, I know their processes quite well. I am sure this will get a reaction from the developer one way or another.
thomas
Chief Gnome

Please calm down. Both of you.
@chrisborn: As you know you can download a trial version and you can test it as long as you like. If the software does what you like, buy it. If not, then don't buy it! That's fairly simple, or not?
Just for your information: I looked into the problem two weeks ago and made some chances to better handle larger projects but as you are writing a "formal letter of complaint" to PayPal, maybe they fix it for you.
My best guess of the outcome would be that it that they give you your money back and I block your license key.

The simple reason why I didn't update Object2VR yet its that Qt 4.6.1 produced crashes with Pano2VR so I had to go back to Qt 4.5.3 and now I am waiting to see if this solves the problem on those client machines. I can not reproduce those bugs so I can not test it on my systems. If this is solved with going back to Qt 4.5.3 I may release the new version of Object2VR this week.
MfG, Thomas
thomas
Chief Gnome

Object2VR beta6 is now available as 64bit app also for Windows and Mac (Cocoa build). This should allow allot more view states and images...
MfG, Thomas
smooth

object2vr_error.jpg
object2vr_error.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 6377 times
This is the error message I receive after installing Object2VR beta6 on my Windows 7 32 Bit PC. :x
Over to you Thomas.

Regards, Smooth 8)
thomas
Chief Gnome

UUppppps, this was a bug in the Win32 build. It is now fixed and the installer should work now.
MfG, Thomas
smooth

thomas wrote:UUppppps, this was a bug in the Win32 build. It is now fixed and the installer should work now.
Fixed! :D

Regards, Smooth 8)