point hotspots appear over text-boxes

Q&A about the latest versions
andieroid

Hi

I am having a problem ensuring that the pop-up text boxes - activated when rolling over a point hotspot - properly obscures the hotspot graphic. I have 27 hotspots, two of which behave "correctly" by hiding the other hotspots in close proximity to it.
Good behaviour
Good behaviour
hotspot_good_behaviour.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
All of the other hotspots appear over the text boxes.
hotspot_bad_behaviour.jpg
hotspot_bad_behaviour.jpg (7.49 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
The really weird thing here is that creating a new hotspot close to the ones that behave correctly also behave properly, those new ones created elsewhere behave badly!

Has anyone had this same issue. In HTML terms I'd have thought it was a layer issue, or some kind of ID, however changing IDs, titles and even the html that I have used to format the textboxes has no effect.

Any suggestions would be very welcome as this is a file to be included in a national project next week,

Andrew
smooth

Would appear you need to arrange items in the correct order in the skin editor "tree".

Regards, Smooth 8)
andieroid

Hi Thanks for the tip.

I have now tried changing the order of where the textbox appears in relation to the hotspot button, and the hotspot itself, but it still does the same thing. Here are the two relevant images - the layout editor view and the Tree. Is there something really obvious I'm missing here?
movie_layout.jpg
movie_layout.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
tree order.jpg
tree order.jpg (25.66 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
Thanks
martyhr

No, the correct order haes any impact.

I had the same problem times ago. It seems that it should be solved by Thomas:

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... arty#p7556
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
To solve this, move the HS Text box so it is at the bottom of the file tree in the skin editor and is not a child of any hotspots. You will have to set the text box position, the mouse is at X:0 Y:0 then position the box from that setting, an exampal would be if your text box is 50 x 50px, to position it above the mouse and in the middle, you would set the position to X: -25px to move it left by 25px and Y: -60px to move it 10px above the mouse.

Set the text box modifiers so it moves with the mouse and then set its alpha to 0.
Then enter in either your fasphotspot or ibutton the following actions.

Mouse Enter, change element alpha to 1 target HS Text
Mouse leave, change element alpha to 0 target HS Text
Mouse Enter, Set Text (the required text for the hotspot) target HS Text.

What will happen is the text box will track the mouse and as it is at the bottom of the file tree it will be brought forward in the skin window. No matter how many hotspots you have the text box will always be in front.

This is the method Thomas came up with following my post. You can see it working hear, I have also used a png graphic and text box to track the mouse in this demonstration. Here
Kin dregards
Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
andieroid

Excellent - fantastic, it worked!!

I was (and still am) sightly confused about setting the mouse/textbox positioning relationship and had to do a bit of trial and error to get the text-box to appear close enough to the mouse in most instances. For this project, there is quite a lot of text in the text boxes, so the automatic re-sizing of them makes positioning an issue. But great, I really appreciate the solution - thank you.
Andrew
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Andrew
First glad to help, as for the text boxes and positions, I will try to explain more clearly. With the skin editor window open your mouse is in position X:0 and Y:0
So the pointer is at the top left, if you could see it.
If you draw a box either rectangle or text box of a size of 100 x 100px, then position it X:0, Y:0, it will be top left of the window with the mouse pointer in its top left corner, if you could see it.
If you set the Y: to -100 the box will go up above the mouse, the mouse will now be positioned bottom left.
Now set the X to -100, the box will now move to the left with the mouse pointing to the bottom right of the box, again if you could see the mouse pointer.
So moving the box position around the fixed position of the mouse.

If your text box is going to be large, why not move it so it appears one side or the other of the mouse.

EDIT:
Don’t forget
You can always add a position xx/xx target text box action on mouse enter and set it back on mouse leave, see Here
The text box when hoverd over the menu open/close button would have dropped off the left of the screen so I added a move position action. I also did the same when the mouse hovers over the sound button, the text box goes up so it is above the +/- buttons.
It behaves as a fixed element and can be moved with relation to the mouse.

Kind regards
Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/