Stereoscopic 3D virtual tour question

Q&A about the latest versions
mikeb

First, my apologies if I'm not asking this question in the exact right place. I was wondering, is there a way to simulate a stereoscopic 3D virtual tour for Google cardboard and similar viewers if I only have a single equirectangular 360 degree image for each scene? My understanding is that to do it the right way I would really need to have two of these images taken from slightly different points of view causing parallax to in turn cause the 3d effect. However, I already have some images of a location I took years ago, and as I cannot go back and recreate that scene/situation now, I'm wondering if there's some way I can stimulate the 3d effect without having two separate images like that. If anybody has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Mike
Melbourne, Florida USA
rp360vr

It won't be "stereo" but you can still make an immersive/cardboard tour if you follow the tutorial here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11377&p=51799&hilit ... ard#p51799

Actually most (99% ?) of the "cardboard" content out there is just one picture split into two so that it can be viewed with a cardboard viewer.
Last edited by rp360vr on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panox

I have done this for the 3 D-effect of a REFLEX XTR-scenery. I have moved some image-content and added some background to the areas, from where the objects were moved away. With some other files it is possible to simulate a "real" - looking 3D-effect. But I guess this method cannot be transferred to an ordinary 3D-panorama.
mikeb

Thanks Panox, could you perhaps provide any additional documentation or information on how you did that? I would love to know. Thank you very much! Mike
panox

Hello, Mike,

I'm sorry, but my work on this scene dates back six years and I don't know where to find the files.

But it was a very cumbersome work for the simulator. The scenes had to be viewed with anaglyph or shutter glasses.

The graphics card had to be suitable for this.
mikeb

Thanks everyone for sharing!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Mike,
This was me playing: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10183
I like Wim's way with using the single lens but then you have to be quick taking the shots.
If your serous then two cameras is the way to go, but I was just doing it for proof of concept.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
mikeb

Thanks for sharing Hopki!