Experiences with Ricoh Theta V

Q&A about the latest versions
Suzanne

Hello all,

Currently I'm searching for a 360 degree cam, which I can use to make a virtual tour with in combination with Pano 2VR Pro.

Seeing all the reviews online and the prices (my budget is unfortunately not endless :wink:), I'm tending towards a Ricoh Theta V.
Does anyone has some experieces with this cam? I'm planning to make virtual tours of the interiors of yachts. So I'm curious if this cam doesn't have a lot of fish eye-cruves when the distance to a wall isn't that big? And how does it perform inside?

Hope anyone can help me out.

Best regards,
Suzanne
RobM

I have a couple of ThetaS here. Pretty poor for anything inside unless there is a lot of light. The ThetaV arrives here tomorrow with the promise of better detail in the dark areas. I'm curious.

The same issue with the V and the S will be the stitch line. If anything is close to the camera there will be a slight blur. That said, the Theta design is probably the best solution for the one-shot 360 cameras. The lenses are very close to each other and minimise the lost space.

I'm also waiting for delivery of the GoPro Fusion360 for testing, that could be welcome boost in image quality. We'll see.

As for defamation on the Theta, they are what they are, for me, not professional enough quality for the work I want to deliver, I still prefer a 6-shot 360 with my Nikon 10,5mm on a 360 precision head. Not that expensive either if you are serious about doing this for work.

Rob
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Suzanne,
I like the Theta but the Theta V was a bit of a disappointment and geared to Video, same panorama resolution as the Theta SC and S. But bit better quality.
I seem to migrate to the Xiaomi Mijia, its panoramas are nearly 7K so better than the Theta V.
On Gear Best its currently £174.86 pounds, Im in the UK, but I have seen it as low as £160.
The link.
Definitely more bang for your buck.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Suzanne

Dear RobM and Hopki,

Thanks for your advises.
I'll take a look at those cams and what they will cost in The Netherlands. :wink:

Best regards,
Suzanne
RobM

I just unpacked and quickly tested the ThetaV
Certainly better detail in the shadows than the S.
I'll have to try the one Hopki suggests too. I'm also really curious how the GoPro 360 Fusion will be, (apart from a lot more expensive)

BTW, the ThetaV I bought was from cameratools.nl. € 329,75 during the recent sales days.

Rob
Suzanne

We've received the Ricoh Theta V this week too, and I'm testing the camera and the Pano2VR Pro software at the same time.

I'm pretty happy with the images of the cam; the fish eye curves aren't that big and the yachts seems light enough to get good quality images. But I've noticed that where the images come together (to make the pano) there is an area not sharp. :?

Regarding the software; I've some questions:
- When I import the images at Pano2VR Pro (Trial version), the quality looks to be downgraded. Am I doing something wrong/do I have to adjust some settings?
- I can't seem to get the hotspots at the correct places. At first they look OK, but when I'm turning back the hotspots aren't in the right place. When I adjust it that way, the hotspots aren't correct in the other way and so on and so on. Can I import a floor plan to correct this? Because of I'm making the pictures with the Ricoh Theta V and using my smartphone to control the shutter, I can't use the GPS on my smartphone to set the hotspots.
- How can I best export my tour to share on youtube/facebook?

Thanking you in advance!
Suzanne
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Suzanne,
Have a look at this video.

This shows you the setting that can increase the image quality.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/