Nikon 8-15mm

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

Hi all,

Anyone using the Nikon 8-15mm for work?
I'm still using the 10.5mm but as all my cameras are now FX bodies, I'm thinking about the 8-15mm for the D850.

Cheers,
Rob
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
May be ask the question in the Facebook User Group or better the Panoramic Photographers Group.
Cheers,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

I didn't know there were such groups, I thought this was the place :)
360Texas

Most folks use a fisheye lens because it already provides the spherical projection.

The 8 - 15mm (read overlapped set of flat images) can be used but requires far more images which can be stitched using PTgui or other stitcher which can be output in spherical projection.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
RobM

Yes I know that, and that's what I do with a multitude of lenses already. Up to 32 images for ultra high res 360x360 images.

I was at the Nikon office today and asked about the lens, my NPS man suggested it would be good for my work, better than the dated 10.5 and way better than the old 16mm. We have a trade show on at the weekend but after that I'll borrow it to try out.

I was being more specific by asking if anyone was using it.
360Texas

We use a Canon 5d and Sigma 8mm fisheye. Take RAW 4 .cr2's around. Could take 3 - > yet fewer images. Post processing time important. We use PTgui Pro and Photoshop CS6 (non cloud) with and assemble in Pano2vr Pro.

And now and again we use a Theta V. Its fun not having to do all the post processing.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
RobM

I use a min of 6 shots for a 180x360 with the 10.5mm. Lightroom tweaks, Stitched in PTgui It reduces deformation a lot, the more images used.
I've a robotic head that does the 32shot setups, great for the aircraft interiors I do.

I've the Theta too, but sadly doesn't cut it for image quality for the work I do. :/
360Texas

Yes, fully understand that. Got to be able to zoom in and be able to read the Left and Right instrument groups.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com