Optimal Camera Height

Q&A about the latest versions
formbysurveys

Does anyone have any views on the optimal camera height for an internal panotour of a building. The problem with eye level is getting a monopod large enough which still has a small footprint at the base so it can easily be hidden (using a Theta S)?
Regards

Andy
Frankster69

I would advice to buy a light-stand. I'm using it too.

That can go up to 240cm (mine, there's difference), has a small footprint, invisible pole, no big tripod-head. They're cheap too, for about 30/40,- you'll have one. Most have a standard camera screw on top.

I bought one with one adjustable leg, to use on unevenground or stairs. They're ideal for 360 camera's like your Theta and my Kodak.

regards, Frank
Last edited by Frankster69 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
360Texas

Think of your internet visitor - the person who is viewing your panorama IMAGES.

Lets be practical. The photographer should pretend that they are the person sitting in front of the monitor taking a guided tour.
I think the center of the camera lens height might mimic the persons view angle "as if they were actually at the site".

Examples:

Probably undesirable but shoot for extreme visual effects:
Set Theta on a 2 inch high mono pod on the floor. Your panorama would show a lot of carpet and great view up to underside of tables.
Attach the Theta to the ceiling. Your panorama would show a lot of ceiling and look down on a lot tables and chairs.

Maybe better elevation for center of lens:
48 to 60" / 120 -150 centimeters. This puts the lens center above table / desktops
I am 69" tall. My center of eye to floor 62". My panoramas lens height then simulates a person walking around in an office building

For simulating a person sitting in a chair in a conference room I would shoot 12" above the conference table.

We have long since stopped trying to minimize the Theta tripod cap. Either leave it as photographed or use an advertising tripod cap. Pano2vr does have a good tripod cap replacement called Patch Mode option which I recommend. Now you do not have to worry about hiding the mono pod or tripod base.

https://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/5/patches/

The patch can be used advertising your clients company and as Powered by "Your company name" and contact information. Believe it or not but visitor viewing your work... actually do LOOK DOWN to the floor or ground occasionally. So why not reward them with some information they can use. Your client will thank you for the free advertising.

OH and we use a light weight Manfrotto 682 B with fold able legs stored inside the mono pod. Collapses down to 26" long.

[edit] If you are using it for business then you can purchase it no sales tax and write off the monopod cost on your annual business income tax as a business expense.
monopod
monopod
compare.jpg (253.07 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
formbysurveys

Thanks Dave, great advice. We already add a nadir through Pano2vr so no issue there.

Frank - can you post a link to a stand / monopole similar to what you are talking about?

Cheers guys.
Regards

Andy