When can we build tours with 360 videos?

Q&A about the latest versions
swedVR

I' believe many of us would like to link 360 videos together just like we do with 360 photos but there aren't currently any solution for this.

The 360 video quality has also been pretty bad until now but I finally find the quality useful enough with the newer and more expensive 360 rigs/cameras.

My question is not if it's possible but when it might be and what the obstacles are?

There's certainly a huge demand. Especially if it would be possible to have a live feed from several cameras. How cool wouldn't it be to visit Comic Con live or a similar event from home? Or to be able to see a soccer game in VR up close and switch seats when the ball moves away.

It sounds like a fantasy but I don't see why it has to be? Garden Gnome is without doubt the leading developer in 360 tour software as Kolor is no longer focusing on their Panotour software. If anyone is already working on a solution, it's probably Garden Gnome.

I'm not asking you to give anything away to your competitors in case you really are working on a solution (crossing my fingers). But maybe you can tell us stuff like, it should be possible and that it wouldn't be totally unthinkable if we have a 360 video tour solution in less than a year.

I don't want to wait much longer :D

//Anders
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Anders,
I' believe many of us would like to link 360 videos together just like we do with 360 photos but there aren't currently any solution for this.
Pano2VR has been able to do this for quite some time.
Each node can have a 360 video and hotspot just like panoramas.
But this only works for 360 Video, not live feeds.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Bostjan

Actually I created some tours with the implemented 360 surround video ...but ...: I have very fast server (93% , Europe) and the download is really slow with the current p2vr output (only one resolution - not auto). Here it is an example, not really interactive tour, which runs from my server: http://www.burger.si/360video/2017/AvtoSalon/index.html
360Texas

I visited your site at the Auto Sales. Panorama downloads fast 1 second on banner. 3 seconds on panorama. Audio does not fully download but can hear in short background people talking snippets as audio packets arrive.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
swedVR

I'm so retarded. I've actually seen the video below before and totally forgot about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... Z8HQU22rFM

But I can't be the only one who totally missed that this feature is already possible.
When googling "360 video tour software" or similar, nothing turns up.

You need to work a lot more with your examples section
https://ggnome.com/pano2vr/examples

I remember now that I've seen this demo and at the time I thought that it looks exactly the same as a youtube video. It's not interactive in any way.
https://ggnome.com/samples/pano2vr_5/panedia2016/

You should put together a new example with nodes, jumping links with additional info and so on so people really get the possibilities. You have to assume that your customers doesn't have any fantasy.

To be honest, You're so great at making this software but you're very bad at showing off. The very opposite of Apple who can make anything sound fantastic and take credit for technology they bought from smaller companies.

Bostjan, your demo worked great but it doesn't look like there are any nodes of special features. Why don't you use youtube?
swedVR

While we're on the video subject. Have GG improved the workflow for blending video with panoramas or is it still the same process as in the video below?
https://ggnome.com/wiki/Pin_and_Align_V ... Pano2VR%29
I purchased Kolor Panotour with LivePano only because the solution in this video seems too complex but maybe I've missed some new features here as well :)
Bostjan

I am trying to publish as much is possible on my own server (have very fast one with "no limits" bandwith. More or less in a phase of the experiment.
Svendus

You can upload the 360 video to YouTube or Vimeo and embed it in a Panorama it Support 4K, 8K Video and play Spatial Audio
Image Image
swedVR

Thanks for the tip Svendus. I'm sure that solution will be useful in some cases.

I just tried to build a videotour with 4K 360 video and it played smoothly on both my computer and my Android phone. Playback wasn't 100% smooth on my iPad Pro but still fully acceptable.

I even tried an 8K clip but that didn't work. Maybe 6K will work but you don't want to go above 4K today because of the file size. The camera makes a much bigger difference in quality than the resolution. A professional 360 camera/rig will still produce better quality at 1080P than many of the new 4K consumer cameras.
Svendus

Ok the new YouTube player can now play 5.7 and 8K videos smoothly but is sadly crashes on 4K compatible iOS devices
you can not change the resolution in the player it crashes when you just touch the screen

we do not yet have a 4K 360 camera but our experiences with 4K video in Pano2VR
are that if you have to high bit-rate in the video hot-spots and links do not function properly
even you are on a very high internet connection speed.
Image Image