Android 7.1.2 / "Goodreader-type" app needed

Q&A about the latest versions
BHanson

Hello everyone,

I spent yesterday with Hopki troubleshooting a problem via email, in which I am trying to view a tour offline on my Android device. We went through the normal procedures of allowing the browser to access local storage and other steps, which didn't work. For the record, I have a Google Pixel XL that runs pure Android and the latest version at that (7.1.2). Apparently the latest release breaks the ability to view tours offline. The email string ended with Hopki indicating that he was going to research a Goodreader-type app for Android. This morning I figured I'd ask the forum to see if anyone has one that they use.

Thanks for your help,

Bob
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Bob,
Ok got this going on my Galaxy S7 after some playing around.
How:

Install Firefox for Android.

Then download File Manager (File Transfer) by Cheetah mobile.

The reason for this is you need the file manager to be able to use Firefox for opening the HTML page, I found the file manager that came with the phone, "My Files" only lets you open Chrome.

Then go to Settings => Apps => Firefox => Permissions.
The select Storage to on (blue).

Now plug your phone into you computer and use File Transfer to copy over your output folder to your phone. You can also rename the folder, in my test I have a folder called panorama, then inside sub folders to different tours.

Open File manager, then from the menu select Device then open your output folder and select the HTML page.
The first time you do this it will ask which APP to open the HTML page with, select Firefox and it should open.

Tested with the Layer Marney Tour which has menus, thumbnails, image and info popups, transitions etc, etc which are all working including background sound.
Google Maps also work but none of the maps button, but you can still pinch zoom.
Also tested with a project with a fullscreen button which also work ok.
Regards.
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
BHanson

Didn't work. While the std view showed the navigation buttons, it got stuck at 0% loading. The vr.html file didn't load and instead Firefox presented me with a javascript error message. Both screenshots are attached. I am going to try other file explorers and see if i have any other luck. Thanks for your help, however.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170523-105735.png
Screenshot_20170523-105735.png (86.28 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
Screenshot_20170523-105725.png
Screenshot_20170523-105725.png (68.78 KiB) Viewed 8066 times
Hopki
Gnome

Which version of Firefox do you have?
I have Version 53.0.2.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
BHanson

The same, 53.0.2
Hopki
Gnome

Then I don't know what to suggest as this clearly works for me.
Ill check out an Android tablet I have to see if all still works with that, its a Nexus 9.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
BHanson

Hopki,

Can you send me a link to the output Layer Marney Tour (or just attach it to this email string)? I know you were able to view that tour on your device while I was trying mine. I want to eliminate the possibility (or confirm) that my device doesn't play nice with Pano2vr tours.

Thanks,

Bob
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Bob,
It can be downloaded here.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
BHanson

Hi Hopki,

I downloaded the Tower file and it worked! I used the file manager by Cheetah Mobile and Firefox. A couple of questions:

1. In order to make sure that the file is operating the same on my phone as yours, I want to confirm that you cannot wave the phone around and use the built it sensor/gyroscope. Instead the only option is to use my finger to scroll 360 degrees on the panos, correct?

2. I could of sworn that I followed your video step-by-step 100% of the way. Can I ask you to please try installing the sample tour I put together and see if it works on your device? I post it on this thread.

Thanks,

Bob
Attachments
Screenshot_20170527-055147.png
Screenshot_20170527-055147.png (3.11 MiB) Viewed 8034 times
BHanson

Here is the file. I had to switch from my phone to my PC to upload it.
output-20170524T221651Z-001.zip
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
keith@fachwen.org

Not wanting to be negative at all..! But I've given up on this kind on thing. Wherever I have an internet connection, via 3G or wifi I can view my tours on my phone or tablet with no issue. Trying to author for a local device just adds more work. Fine I guess if the client is paying for it? Depends on the use case I guess.
BHanson

Hi Keith,

I've gotten a little frustrated because it's a little more complicated than I am used to. The reason why I want to be able to view it locally without WiFi because I travel a lot and don't always have internet/cell coverage. Plus, I prefer the idea of viewing it in Google Daydream; much more immersive when viewing on a headset. My wife's family is in Central America and quite often when visiting family in the interior and they ask how is life where we live, it is nice to be able to show them. Often times, there is no cell service, or internet service way out there.

Bob
keith@fachwen.org

Ah, yes, a good use case then I guess :-)

Have you tried the eBook option? I've actually done this and it's not too time consuming. Once you've managed to get it to work you can forward the eBook.epub file to anyone and it can be opened with regular eBook readers and there you panorama shall be.

There's an example on the blog:

http://www.newzealandvirtualtour.com/st ... w-zealand/

Regards,

Keith
BHanson

Hi Keith,

I checked it out but when I click on it, it appears the only option is for iOS. I am fully immersed in the Google ecosystem and cannot figure out how to view your ebook.

Bob
keith@fachwen.org

Hi Bob,

.epub files are totally platform independent, they should work on any computer with the right reader software, there are lots!

So, Mac, PC, iOS, Android, etc, all should be fine. That's my experience anyway.

Let me Google that for you...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... b&hl=en_GB

http://www.androidauthority.com/best-eb ... id-170696/

Keith