Same tour taken at different times?

Q&A about the latest versions
JFalbey

Is it possible to have a virtual tour with panos taken in the same locations but at different times, and be able to switch between them? For example: a virtual tour of a building being renovated with panos taken before construction, during construction, and after construction, and the ability to switch back and forth within the same virtual tour? I’m thinking it would have something to do with buttons placed in the skin and tags on the panos, but I’m too new with Pano2VR and I can’t figure it out.

Thanks!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jack,
Rather than answer your e-mail I answer your post so all can see the answer.
The answer is yes and has been covered her a few times but more with night and day but can be used just as well with before and after.
Here is the forum post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9839
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
JFalbey

Thanks Martin. That thread was helpful in understanding a little more about the use of variables, and it works for switching between 2 states (day/night; before/after) where each pano can have the specific node ID of its alternate-state counterpart in the User Data, but my scenario involves more than 2. My client is interested in documenting the construction/renovation process. As an example, suppose it takes 10 panos to cover their business, but I shoot it 3 different times resulting in 3 versions of each pano. Then suppose I name the panos as follows:

Pre1 - Pre10
Mid1 - Mid10
Post1 - Post10

Where Pre1, Mid1, and Post1 are all shot from the same position in the same room, but several weeks or months apart. How might I use tags and/or variables to create buttons in the skin so that a user in Pre4 can click the Mid-Construction button and go to Mid4, walk through the tour to Mid7, click the Post-Construction button and go to Post7?

I think I could probably do it by customizing individual hotspots within each pano, but that would get very time-consuming on large projects, especially if it was a 100-pano tour and they wanted bi-weekly updates over a 6 month construction project. I could end up with 12 different versions of 100 panos and still need a way to switch between the 12 different states. I'm hoping there's a way to do it with master controls in the skin...
JFalbey

I figured it out. I used different fields in the User Data to put the corresponding nodeID for each different state of the same node, and then assigned the appropriate placeholder to clickable text fields in the skin. It works! Thank you Martin & the Gnomes for creating an infinitely customizable platform. I'm sure I'll be bugging you all with every new crazy idea I come up with.

In the example below, node1/node4/node7 were shot the same location within the tour, but with different imagery. The on-screen buttons go to $ut/$ud/$ua respectively. This would also work for a seasonal tour where the viewer can switch between spring/summer/fall/winter while staying at the same point in the tour.
user data.png
user data.png (13.66 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Now it seems that I'm still limited by the number of fields in the User Data panel, but let's hope I don't run into a client who needs more than 8 versions of each pano.