Transitions again, target views, default views, total disaster

Q&A about the latest versions
JSchrader

Today I stumbled upon a quite annoying behaviour in Pano2VR while building a tour:

When entering a new tour node the view always turns from the target view to the default view.
Why is that? And why can't this be switched off?

Imagine a tour in a tunnel or tube where you move along a more or less straight line from one node to the next.
To make the move from one node to the next appear as "natural" as possible one would set a target view (what else would that be good for) so that the user always is looking in the same direction when he moves forward.

While this works in one direction, one gets completely confused when moving in the opposite direction, because with every node the view keeps turning from the target view 180 degrees back to the default view. That not only makes one dizzy but one also has to turn again by 180 degrees to click on the correct hotspot to proceed.

PLEASE can you make the automatic move to the default view "taggable" and let the users decide if they want to use it or not?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jürgen,
If you have set up targets it should work ok.
What's your hotspot actions?
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hello Jürgen,

if you use "Forward" as the default view (in the hotspots template, for example) it should do exactly what you want... it keeps the heading in the same direction while you move thru the nodes.
MfG, Thomas
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jürgen,
What concerns me is you say it opens with the target view and then rotates back to default view?.
Are you using the cardboard template?

So if you have used the target to set the opening of each pano and you still get the above try selecting the Silhouette skin and do you still get the same thing happening?

Once you have finished your tests select your own skin and delete the images folder and publish again so you don't have the images of the silhouette skin in your project.

If with the silhouette skin its working ok that there must be an action doing this in your skin.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
JSchrader

Thank you guys. I was hoping that I had overseen something and that the solution was already there.
I'm not sure from which skin I've started, bit certainly not the cardboard template.

So yes, I have set a target view for each hotspot.
In the skin editor the Action on Mouse Click is set to Open Next Panorama with URL = Hotspot URL and View = Target View.

@ Thomas
What do yo mean by use "Forward" as the default view in the hotspot template?
In the skin editor the hotspot template has options for 3D Distortion and 3D Distance, nothing else.
I realized that there are new options Forward and Backward in the target view definition but need to know how these can be used.

@Martin
You mean I should do a test by just switching the skin to Silhouette? And if that is successful use my own skin again and delete the images folder from my published project? And what will then happen to my own imagery?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jürgen,
Your skin images will be in the images folder so if you test with a different skin it will place the images from the test skin in the images folder also.
You don't want images you don't need in the images folder.

The pano images should be in the tiles folder.

If you added images manually to the images folder then best not delete it, just look in the folder and manually remove them.
I realized that there are new options Forward and Backward in the target view definition but need to know how these can be used.
If your panos have north set you can use forward and when you get to the end use back to turnaround.
Have a look at the attached project. The point hotspots have forward until the last pano where back is used. This goes back to pano 4 and facing backward. Then forward is used until you get back to node one then again back is used.
This only works if North has been set.
The Hotspots can be found on the text that says North in the images.

Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
tour.zip
(906.67 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
JSchrader

Now you're totally confusing me :-))
I will go through it thoroughly in my next session.
Thank you so far, and I will be back after I've tried.
Hopki
Gnome

The project was just to show you what forward can do, in your project I would just use the target view.
If you changed your skin do the hotspots work as should?
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
JSchrader

Unfortunately I have to wait until the weekend before I can continue on this.
But I certainly will let you know ;-)
JSchrader

Ok guys, the issue was solved.

The problem is caused by the node markers I use on a map.
The marker template indicates that on click the view is moved to the default view.
This causes all other nodes of the tour to behave the same. Not sure if this is a desired feature, an undesired feature or simply a bug.

From a users point of views it certainly is desirable to handle views of nodes differently and independently when clicked from inside a tour and from a map. Because inside the tour I may want to have he view into walking direction whereas when accessed from a map there is no walking direction but maybe preferably a default view of the node. I was not aware that as long as no target view is specified the software would call the default view, which of course seems to make sense in a way.

I'll hope for the best that with this change everything will behave as expected.

The next thing that still needs attention is the part with the deletion of the images folder, because it already was bugging me that I'm carrying a lot of graphics that I don't really need in my project file. I will have a look at you suggestion, Martin.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Jürgen,
Unless you have added image manually to the images folder you would click the "Bin" button when you have finished producing your project and ready for the final build.

1.jpg
1.jpg (19.84 KiB) Viewed 5433 times
This will clear the output folder and then the project will be built with only the files it needs for the project.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
JSchrader

Oh, Iwasn't aware of that bin button, Ijust deleted the images folder manually.
Worked like a charm. Great achievement to keep project data lean.

I assume the bin button also kills unused panoramas which for whatever reason might remain in the project output?
Hopki
Gnome

Yep, wipes the output folder clean.
So the next publish will only use the images in your project.
Its best to do this as last task.
desirable to handle views of nodes differently and independently when clicked from inside a tour and from a map
This should happen now.
A node marker should open in default view while a hotspot can open with target view.
Cheers
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com