Request: Detecting device orientation

Q&A about the latest versions
jare

Hi,
detecting device orientation and the ability of enable/disable portrait/landscape mode will extend the skin editor's power. Usefull especially for HMD tours.
Can we expect this feature in the near future?
Attachments
rotate.png
rotate.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
360Texas

Pano2vr's Gyro feature does this.... for landscape mounted smartphones. At the moment I do not see a reason to have smartphones mounted in portrait. Panoramas are full sphere 360° landscape and 180° portrait. Enabling/disabling Gryo is possible but not very practical. Unless you are thinking about something else.

Here is what ours looks like:
gearvrpix900.jpg
gearvrpix900.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 6681 times
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
jare

Hi Dave,
I agree that no one will mount a smartphone into HMD in portrait orientation because the hardware simply doesn't allow it, I own one. But once detected the portrait orientation, we could show a notification (for example "Turn your device landscape!") or some relevant image (see above).
Generally, conventional virtual tours (non VR) should be displayed in landscape orientation for the best performance. On PC's, there is no problem with it. But it is with mobile devices. People are used to hold it in portrait orientation, take photos or videos in portrait orientation and, sadly, view virtual tours in portrait orientation, too. Sometimes we make complex tour's interfaces and they must fit both portrait and landscape mode. To simplify our work, we could develop only landscape interface and disable the portrait mode and/or warn the user to turn his device to landscape.
360Texas

Hmmmm I understand
Sometimes we make complex tour's interfaces and they must fit both portrait and landscape mode.
Perhaps Pano2vr should consider (if not already) scaled or RESPONSIVE skin elements.

At first I too was concerned with getting the tool control bar created in landscape.

First thing I learned was to remove a couple buttons so it would fit in both horizontally and vertical screens sizes. Just use one simple button layout.

Design priority: layout should fit X% of smart phones when the panorama is viewed using portrait orientation. Then it will be sure to fit the landscape orientation. Maybe next year I'll take a view ability survey of my friends smartphones.

For example - consider removing or change the layout for the 4 way arrows UP/Down/ pan left and right. But you might change the 4 way direction arrows into a star layout.

Smartphones and tablets use the screen tap and swipe functions to drag around. Mouse click and drag works also for large screen desktops. [hint: auto rotate helps]

Then you have to provide extra spacing between buttons... like for my fat finger touch.

I have used a shorter tool button bar + added an (X) button to return to our Gallery page. All these panoramas work both on desktops and 5 years or newer smaller screen smart phone. Probably would have a real issue using an Apple iPOD. I saw one of those is an electronics store the other day. Those are REALLY small screen.

Keep in mind I am aware that not all small smart phone screens have the same resolution. Our menu bar works on newer higher resolution screens. Cell phones 5 years or older might find our menu falls off the right screen side. The full tool button bar is still there at its full size.. older screen just see all of it.

http://360texas.com/gallery.html
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
jare

I know how to make responsible skin design and I do it. But if I prefer to show some virtual tour only in landscape mode, there should be some instruments to disable the portrait mode. Note that many mobile applications are available only in landscape or only in portrait mode. Games, for example.
360Texas

Just looked at your Sunseeker Yachts pano with my 27" (69 cm) desktop. Truly a highly adaptive (responsive) layout. I could resize the browser window to minimum dimensions and still functioned properly. Noticed that your small 2 button horizontal control panel fit properly.

However the skin hot spot boat side view picture was not scaling to proportion of the screen size.... but 3 hot spots remained in view while boat end fell off the portrait narrow dimension edge (long side up).

Great website too.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Iv added this as a feature request.
You could use the Is Mobile with screen size triggers but you would need a few to detect several display sizes.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
jare

Ok, thank you, Martin.
GPaunovski

Hopki wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:12 pm Iv added this as a feature request.
You could use the Is Mobile with screen size triggers but you would need a few to detect several display sizes.
Regards,
Hopki
Hello,
could you inform me if this feature has been implemented yet?
If not, can you explain in more details how to manually make the tour to work only in landscape mode.

Goras
jare

You can use logic block to let's say display some splash screen with warning that tour is available only in landscape orientation.
For the splash screen Visible Logic block use this settings
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 6379 times
Hopki
Gnome

@Goras
As Jare says there is a Logic block trigger that looks at screen ratio.

width/height

The trigger is called Player Aspect Ratio.

Trigger: Player Aspect Ratio
Comparison: < or >
Value: 1

If < 1 then Portrait
If > 1 then landscape

Also someone has made a component: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11235

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
GPaunovski

Thank you for the reply to both of you.
It works.

Goras