Oculus Rift multi-node

Q&A about the latest versions
Howard

Finally received my new (shipping version) Oculus Rift. Users can view their own single node VR content by putting an equirectangular or cubical pano (.jpg) into the directory: This PC\Pictures\OculusPhotos

But currently, Firefox Nightly (webVR enabled) crashes when I attempt to send a multi-node HTML5 VR project to the Oculus.

I was wondering if I might find a workable solution if I use this method
http://ggnome.com/doc/pano2vr/5/tip-desktop-app/
to create a stand-alone multinode application, and then upload it to Oculus Share (the online Oculus storefront).

Any thoughts out there regarding if this might be worth a try?

Thanks!

Howard
Last edited by Howard on Fri May 13, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
360Texas

Best I can tell at the moment... this Oculcus 360Photo process only uses single equirectangular .jpg images.

Your files are still local in your smart phone storage.

Oculus does not yet know how to use our Pano2vr html5 Multi node tile projects.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Howard

Thanks, Dave.

But... do you think my proposed solution (standalone app) is worth a go? Have you, or anyone else out there, any experience yet working with the new Rift?
360Texas

I did read through the standalone app instructions but it would be better if I could actually see one in action. Up to now.. I have not yet seen a standalone app. Sorry can not help on this one.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Howard

I just messaged you a Dropbox link to my first standalone app FYI.
360Texas

Howard. Thanks for letting me try your standalone app.

We use a PC Win 10.
Short reply:
It works quite well on our Win 10.
Would not run on Galaxy s7 Local Storage
Would not run on Galaxy s7 internal SD Card
DID WORK with OTG cable and Flash USB 2 drive. See below.

What we did on PC.
On our PC desktop Win - 10 we downloaded your .app as requested
Moved and Unzipped your .app .zip to a external drive work4tb (F:)/WORK/howardlocoapp/loco.app
I browsed down to find the working .html that would start the pano set:

Still on PC:
/loco.app
/contents/app.nw/index.html this starts the panorama tour

Using Chrome - After clicking on index.html I got a black screen displaying showing only the loading bar stuck at 0%. I can see your 3 icon -+ and full screen tool bar at page bottom.

Another try on PC:
Using our files and folders explorer I selected the index.html dragged and dropped it on or PC Firefox 46.0.1 [current version] icon which correctly opened the index.html

In Foxfires url address bar I now see file:///F:/___work/howardlocoapp/loco.app/contents/resources/app.nw/index.html (bold is actual path to your working app contents)

All your point hotspot 'go to next panorama' works properly.

Next trial will be to move your "contents" to my Samsung Galaxy s7 smartphone and use the mobile version of Firefox to test it ability to also run on Android OS version 6.0.1.

--
Samsung Galaxy s7 smart phone Results:

Copied /contents folder to Device local Storage
Used mobile Firefox 46.0.1
and opened /index.html
ERR displayed in the Firefox URL box
Content://0@media/external/file/2608

Copied /contents folder to SD Card
and opened /index.html
ERR displayed in the Firefox URL box
Content://0@media/external/file/4157

Copied /contents folder to external On the Go Flash Thumb drive
and opened /index.html

Here is the result:
loco.jpg
loco.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Howard

Thanks for your testing, Dave. Much appreciated.

The point of making a standalone app is to be able to run the tour without opening it in a browser. Your method (deconstructing the runtime) kinda bypasses this. I should have sent you a Windows standalone, as the point is to make an executable that doesn't open in a browser. I'll send you one tomorrow when I get back into my office.

Howard
360Texas

Good Day Sir,

What I downloaded was a loco.app.zip 81.5 MB
Since it was a zip I unzipped it

Inside zip was a loco.app. I am lacking an application that can run an .app

Many years ago, QTVR used to have an authoring feature.. that would convert a .mov to an .exe that when run would open and play a viewer/player. Only issue with an .exe is that most email will not accept .exe as an attachment file type. So another method of sending .exe's to clients had to be found. And yes, I tried renaming the .exe to .zip as an attachment but our email /virus software were smart and knew that the .exe inside the .zip wrapper and when sending immediately stripped the attachment off my email. Smart little critter.

So we gave up on transporting .exe's by email.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Howard

FYI: I've decided to use Unity3D to create an extensive multi-node photographic VR tour for Oculus Rift. While it should be possible to us Pano2VR's browser-based solution, using a special webVR-enabled browser, this solution is still very much a beta-level project which has proved problematic. A new VR tour-builder for Unity is now available: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54789

This is not an inexpensive solution, but I have a client for whom I must deliver a working Oculus Rift tour kiosk.
LArchProf

Howard, how was that program solution? Does it support adding information hotspots, or just linking the things together? I am trying to figure out the best way to use my Pano2VR tours with my Vive, but it looks like the virtual dektop might be the only way to do so right now.

Howard wrote:FYI: I've decided to use Unity3D to create an extensive multi-node photographic VR tour for Oculus Rift. While it should be possible to us Pano2VR's browser-based solution, using a special webVR-enabled browser, this solution is still very much a beta-level project which has proved problematic. A new VR tour-builder for Unity is now available: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/54789

This is not an inexpensive solution, but I have a client for whom I must deliver a working Oculus Rift tour kiosk.