Perfect pin placement in Pano2VR 6

swedVR

Everybody knows that placing a node pin in the right place with Google Maps, is not just time consuming but also close to impossible.

Martin (Hopki) has promised that there will an option to overlay a floor plan over Google maps in Pano2VR 6 which is great but I've started to wonder if this is the right approach.

I've tried overlaying a floor plan on Google maps in Pano2VR by using a transparent window software (Peek through for Windows), but the pins still didn't end up exactly where I wanted them to.
It could be that the placement would have been more accurate if I had only zoomed in but I needed to see the entire building to know where to overplay the floor plan.

Anyway, this got me thinking that I actually don't care about where the pins are placed on the map, I just care about where the node links (the X markers) are visually placed in the actual Google tour.

Ideally, I should be able to use the pano2vr viewer to place the pins in Google Maps. Then I don't need to ask for the floor plan every time. Google should be able to share what the visual distance from the Nadir to the horizon of the image equals to on Google Maps.

I hope this feature will find its way into Pano2VR as well? :)
360Texas

I think main focus should be "Where is x,y 0 zero mark"
Then from knowing Zero x,y is positioned... how many pixels x and y for precision marking the needed for actual position.

I suspect we need to know where the MOUSE or pointer is to mark (read mouse drag to and drop).... in relation to visual and numeric x =250 and y = 250 pixel position to achieve precision location.

Otherwise we are only guessing with actual hot spot :shock: PIN or (+) position.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
swedVR

I'm confident that the pano2vr developers know how to solve this. I'm just amazed how little effort a big company like Google puts into solving an issue which is quite important for the user experience.

The best way to navigate a Google tour now is by using the arrow keys on the keyboard (which nobody uses) or the arrows which appear on smaller screens and windows. We tend to place the pins to closely together so when the user navigates using the mouse, they often jump much further than they intended.

I do hope pano2vr spends a lot of time in pano2vr version 6 to solve this. If they do, then this will be the ultimate Google Street View tool.

Btw, stupid question, Will I need to purchase a new license key once version 6 is released?
MSusman

I think a grid overlay with snap would help make pin placement more accurate and a nudge feature where the user could select a pin and nudge it a few pixels using keyboard controls.
mbb

The "Pick Landmark" tool for Node placement on the map is helpful, but for quick accurate placement of a node on the map, I would really like to see functionality for placement of three points as landmarks (even other already placed nodes) so triangulation can take care of the rest.