what equipment is needed for a multi-row object tour?

Q&A about the latest versions
nas

Hi everyone,

First time post. I am trying to shoot images for a multi-row object tour but am struggling to find any appropriate hardware in order to do so.
I have tried searching these forums and others but have found very little info on the types of photo-rig, camera boom or panoramic head that allows for both horizontal and vertical shooting. I have come across some very expensive all-in-one rigs such as from fsi-viewer.com

Can anyone advise of the latest hardware options (preferably something suitable for a small budget). All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nas
360Texas

Hi Nas, Welcome to the forum.

Single row.. means rotating the object while taking 36 images (1 image every 10°).

Multi Row provides object viewing from below and above the object

View of the object top - 36 images from higher postion tilted down at the object
View of the object at Horizon - 36 images
View of the object bottom - 36 images from below the horizon... or if you object is a shoe... turn the shoe upside down

Each row might start in the same rotation position object spot - like if the shoe toe points to left.. make all row position starting point .. to left. OR maybe NOT.

Using multi row images will of course cause object model file size to grow .. very large.

What piece of hardware ? Nothing special. 1 tripod and 1 turn table. For the object top view... raise the camera and tilt down
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
JPS

360Texas wrote:...........For the object top view... raise the camera and tilt down
...and how about the view from below ? Any idea how to hold and rotate the object with precision while shooting ?

:?:
J-P.
nas

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for that. I have a NN3 head which should allow me to achieve the top shot quite easily based on simply raising the camera and tilting down. However, as J.P also mentioned its the shot from below that I'm having trouble figuring out. I don't think turning the object upside down is viable in many cases i.e. uneven shapes. I guess want I really wanted to know is: what piece of affordable kit ( if any) is available to assist with the production of multi-row objects? I have seen some automated rigs on-line but these cost thousands of pounds. Is there anything more affordable and relevant which is currently available?

Nas.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Just turn the object up side down and place it back on the turn table to do the underside.
Alignment is key, I have seen objects made this way and they look pretty good.
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
nas

Thanks Hopki

It would definitely be an easier solution than spending thousands of pounds. That said..know of any techniques or props that would help with the alignment issue? I'm sure this is possible ..but its the doing so without any of these showing on the final image which I guess is the problem.

As always..any advise is appreciated.
360Texas

As I mentioned above

View of the object bottom - 36 images from below the horizon... or if your object is a shoe... turn the shoe upside down
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
PhotoSpherix

The trick is that almost no matter how you do it, you are looking at moving the object to get the second set of latitudes.(you have to flip it)

Remember that there is an imaginary string from the center of the object to the center of the lens. if you move in or out with the camera, the illusion doesn't work.
The best way to make it work is some sort of swing arm for the camera. This can be simple, or complex. My arm for the 16 ft rig is different than the arm for my 2ft rig. This is due to accuracy and size. Being an inch out at 16ft is not as important as being an inch out at 2ft. That being said, master the art of shots from the equator to the pole before you decide to go to the other pole.

images of the 2ft rig

it makes something like this.
http://www.photospherix.com/flash_clien ... amsung_6x6
PhotoSpherix
Starting a revolution in Photography
360 Product Photography