Color management

Q&A about the latest versions
AlainC

Adobe says developer can activate color management in Flash 10.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/quick ... ction_as3/
It seems that Pano2VR doesn't activate color correction. I build sRGB images for input but the resulting SWF looks terrible on my wide gamut monitor.
360Texas

Hi AlainC,

Just wanted to let you know we did read your comment.

I think color management in Flash 10 would be something that Thomas might need to reply to.

Are not most panoramas created to be seen using Flash 9/10 seen using a browser?

I think the browser needs to be color managed too ?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
AlainC

I use Firefox 3 which manages color well, still images are displayed properly, so does also Safari.
If Adobe is right about Flash 10 panos should also be displayed well.
AlainC

Any answer ?
acer4x

If you want your pano to appear as you want on your monitor you must optimize your image using your monitor colorspace, not sRGB colorspace. If you are using PhotoShop, try soft proofing your image in this way: View>Proof Setup>Custom>Simulate>your monitor. Next, select View>Proof Colors.
Finally, convert to sRGB if it is not that already before saving.
AlainC

My pano images displays perfectly well in Photoshop, Firefox or any software that manages color profiles, the issue is with Flash. Adobe claims that Flash 10 manages color but pano2vr created panos don't display properly.
acer4x

Perhaps you could describe WHY your finished panos do not look right to you and provide an example. My own experience with Pano2VR has been very good and I personally have not experienced any noticeable shifts in color on my own calibrated screen... as long as I follow the routine I mentioned previously for my web based imagery. As I said, it might be beneficial for you to give us more detail related to your experience. You did not mention what color profile you are editing in for your panos....
AlainC

Color management has always been a difficult topic, thank you to participate. I will try to be more precise.
A few softwares like Photoshop and Firefox (after enabling gfx.color_management.mode) are able to display the image accurately, converting from embedded profile to monitor profile if necessary. Other softwares don't convert, this is why it is recommanded to publish sRBG images on the web, as most monitors have a profile close to sRGB : no conversion is done but no conversion is needed, all is well.
The problem I am talking about occurs only on wide gamut monitors like my DELL 24008WFP, sRGB images can't be displayed properly without conversion. Example :
http://www.alain-collet.com/Reunion/GRR2/111.html
This image is correctly displayed in Firefox on any monitor.
Pano :
http://www.alain-collet.com/Reunion/Pan ... laos3.html
The pano is displayed correctly on a sRGB monitor but on a wide gamut monitor the sky is green.
The input panorama image is the same for both and embeds sRGB profile.
erik leeman

But isn't that a universal problem with wide gamut monitors?
I don't have one myself (yet), but from what I've been reading about true high-end wide gamut screens so far, it is necessary to manually switch them to a limited gamut-mode for anything but image processing. It was presented as one of the drawbacks of using a monitor of this type.
Does your monitor have such an option in the shape of a hardware button or in the on-screen menu?

Erik
acer4x

Sorry if I misunderstand but I use a Dell 2408WFP (24008FP typo?) monitor and your pano displays correctly for me. Am I missing something?
AlainC

Does your monitor have such an option in the shape of a hardware button or in the on-screen menu?
It has in the on-screen menu but it looks terrible. In fact I work all day long in wide gamut mode, as long as you have a good calibration and you use color-managing applications like Photoshop and Firefox you have a correct display of every image, only Flash has a bad behaviour.
AlainC

It is 2408WFP, sorry for the typo.
Do you mean you have the exactly the same color of sky for image and pano ?
On my monitor the pano sky is much greener.
acer4x

yes, the sky is the same blue - I calibrate with the Eye-One Match 3 software from X-Rite.
When first calibrating this monitor I had to change the default rgb color settings quite a bit to get it corrected. Maybe this is your issue.
AlainC

If it were a calibration problem the image will never display properly, here jpg displays perfectly, hence I guess it's a Flash issue. Which version of Flash do you have ? Mine is 10.0.42.34 on Mac OS 10.6.2
acer4x

Flash 10,0,32,18
Mac OS 10.5.8
I will update later and check back here... but I have not seen this issue raised before unless it is a brand new one.