Multi language tour

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

Hi all,

Up till now, when I've been asked to make a multi-language tour, I just made multiple versions that have been hosted separately in each language.
Now I'm wondering if that can be streamlined in any way. A single tour render (10 node) with language interface skins and content that are called up from the relevant directories.

I have a 5 language project coming up so weighing up my options.

Cheers,
Rob.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
The Pano2VR solution would use images rather than the text box. There is a bug report for this as you can not use a set text action with a text box which is a child of a hotspot template. When this is fixed then you would just use a button setting the text of all text boxes. You can dip this now but not for text hotspot text boxes.

To keep it simple I will use a website tool tip on a hotspot, please see attached project.

Make sure all the images are the same length and height.
Place all images for the tool tip in a container, the container will have the ID website_tt. The images will have the ID relevant to its country, example en_website, de_website. However you can use whatever naming convention you like.

In the skin add a button for each of the languages, in this case English and German.
The English button:
Mouse Click => Hide Element => Target: #de_.*
Mouse Click => Show Element => Target: #en_.*

The German button:
Mouse Click => Hide Element => Target: #en_.*
Mouse Click => Show Element => Target: #de_.*

This will address all images in the skin that start with en_ and de_.

For this to work only tool tips must start with en_ and de_ as the .* (wild card) is being used to address anything starting with en_ and de_.
Using images means you will get the same user experience with both Flash and HTML5 knowing there are differences in text formatting.
Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
tooltip.zip
(185.03 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

Thanks Martin.
I'm going to look into this example.

I don't use the text box option at all anyway. I make up 'slides' that fit into my pop-ups that are laid out in Photoshop to have the photo and text in one. I've always used a .psd template so it's easy to drop in other language texts. This was particularly when I made a Chinese version of a tour where I could literally copy/paste the Chinese characters into place then save as a .png for the tour.

Thanks for the tips.

Rob.
RobM

So far I've figured how to call up a language defined image by using the #de_.* #sp_.* etc. So when I switch language the actual hotspots switch to the relevant language and when clicked the open the correct version of my popup image which is called upon via sp_picture_viewer, de_picture_viwer etc. Each using an external image.

However, up tip now I have always used the hotspot editor to refer to the 'pictures' folder, directing each hotspot to the relevant image.

Can I still do that using the wildcard tagging or do I need to link to all of the popup images through the skin editor and the external image option? That would make the skin editor tree pretty huge :/
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
Heres what I'm thinking.
Use a hotspot image per language, that also gets switched with the en_, de_ wild cards. See attached file.
The hotspot editors target has the file name but the hotspot image selects from which folder its pulled from.
Regards,
Hopki
Attachments
tooltip_image.zip
(195.16 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
RobM

Hi Martin,

Brilliant! I was looking at a much longer-winded method but this is great. I hadn't thought of doing it that way round.
last night I got the PHP device detection working too, so now I can get on designing this next project. Will share wehn done :)

Cheers
Rob
PIbrahimi

Hi Martin/Hopki,

I understand the way it's done with the hotspots. ButI have a question on the navigation menu, where for example the content is being derived from $ut. How can I do multi-language there?

Many thanks!
Petrit
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Petrit,
It would depend on how many languages you would want but you can use the user data.
Example userdata title "en", userdata description "de".

How:
Set a variable to the skin, example: lang => numbers => 0

In the drop down menu set a logic block in the text element Dropdown Menu Title and under the text.
So it shows: <b>$ut</b> for 0 and <b>$ut</b> for 1.
1.jpg
1.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
Now find the text box element Dropdown Menu Text and do similar.
2.jpg
2.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
All you have to do now is add buttons to change the variable.
mouse click => Set variable value => 0 or 1 etc.

Of course you can use all the empty userdata text fields to add more than two languages.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
PIbrahimi

Thanks Hopki, much appreciated!
Petrit