Embed panos in Facebook?

Q&A about the latest versions
thatkeith

I'm trying to use the Pano2VR template for this but I've been struggling for the last two days. I simply cannot get this to work. It doesn't help that there are inconsistencies in the official 'how to' info (starting with the name of the template being different), OR that it generates a reference to a skin.xml file that it doesn't actually create. Hmm...

Facebook's aggressive caching really isn't helping either; any error in my output gets locked in, and I can't see how to use Facebook's Debug page to clear this. (It's been pretty obvious that just checking my URL hasn't done that as the FB page content never updates.)

Seriously, if anyone has pointers for getting this working I would be *delighted* to try 'em! :D Stripped down to JUST what's needed rather than with extra bells and whistles, if possible.

Oh, I do have https working on my site, and I have bought a secure certificate for it as well.

Keith (ever hopeful)
hum@no.id

Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
JimWatters

Keith,

Blame me for issues with the template. But I will probably blame Facebook.

The documentation was written from the point of view of someone that is somewhat familiar with creating HTML5 pano with Flash fallback. And we may need to add some more detail. Some screen shots should help.

With panos, it is always best to post to Facebook with "Only Me" so it can be verified.

Of the two panos I saw you post on Facebook, arcadia/foot2/ works when I post it to my timeline, but that same pano in your timeline, Facebook is using an old cached version. Nothing I could be to get Facebook to get the new version. Maybe eventually Facebook will display this correctly, but I suggest deleting and posting again.

The arcadia/foot does not look like it has Flash anymore.

The template exposed a bug that if a pano was created with no skin then it would not be displayed in Facebook. The official template will have this fixed shortly. In the mean time either use the template file I sent you, a skin, or remove that from og:video and og:video:secure_url "&skinxml= ... skin.xml"

We were trying to strip the tutorial down to just the steps necessary without the bells and whistles.

The thing is you did it right but because of the skin.xml bug Facebook did not display the pano.