Another question on Multiresolution and Mobile settings....

Q&A about the latest versions
GIOLETS

I know that there are a lot of topics on that argument, but I have read many of them and still I need some clarifications.
My PanoVR tour is made by several 8000*4000 equirectangular images.
Since my fixed horizontal FOV is about 90 degrees, I've on my display to show 8000/(360°/90°)= 2000 pixel with no decrease of quality.
I've setted (HTML and Flash section) as display size 2048*1536 , cube face size 2193 (optimal setting suggested).

In this case I've a good quality vision both on desktop PC and on Ipad devices.

But on Ipad devices I have noticed some strange issue (not loading or crashes); so I've read on furum that It's better to enable the Multiresolution section (not the Mobile section) and set there some proper value.
So my question is: could someone give me the suggested value to insert in Multiresolution section cosidering:
- my max display as 2048*1536,
- I need to visualise my tour on Ipad, Pc and some common Android tablets (not on smarphone).

Last thing: if is better to enable only the Multiresolution section that the Mobile one.

Thanks to all.

Luca
JimWatters

Watch the video
http://ggnome.com/wiki/Multiresolution_(Pano2VR)

With 8000 wide pano, I would use a cube face size of 2272, 1136, and 568
with tile size of 284
Preview track set to 1/2 color

Multiresolution and Mobile are mutually exclusive choices if both are checked then Multiresolution is created or used.

For viewing Parameters I now like to use
Field of View (Zoom) | Min FoV in: = Pixels, & Min = 1
But with your high resolution monitor and only 8000k wide pano you might want to try Min = 2

To get Flash support, no need to generate separate Flash output unless you have a special skin to use with Flash. On the HTML tab check Flash Fallback Player.
GIOLETS

Thanks Jim for your reply.

I've tried your suggested settings (only enabling the Multiresolution section) and really seems to work well also on Ipad, I've seen correctly the tour without crash.

I ask you a couple of things:
- you suggest to enable the option "load on startup" in Multiresolution section?

- I have to generate an swf file only to have the "transition" effect between scenes, do you suggest other solution to have the same effect?

if you are curious you can see the configurator ready here:
http://www.visual4d.it/conf_terre_blu/conf_TB.html
Last edited by GIOLETS on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimWatters

Add Load on Startup on the smallest size level.

Currently Flash is the only way to get transition.
In this case create a separate Flash output. Using the following setting both Flash and HTML5 will share the same image files.
- Enable multiresolution
- Disable Generate Files
- Make sure you use the same tile size, Filename schema, levels, and preview size.
- Disable HTML file

Generate the Flash output and add the swf file to the HTML tab of the HTML5 output.

Your link is not working.
GIOLETS

Thanks again Jim,
I've re-uploaded my project with the following parameters:
tile 512 2560/2048/1536/1024/512 (this last is the only loaded on startup).
main display size 2048*1536 main cube face size 2193
New link:
http://www.visual4d.it/conf_terre_blu/conf_TB_1.html

As you can see in my published example the user each time that turn the view have to wait (about 5 seconds) that the cube face is loaded, this is not good for this kind of product, where is needed to compare different floors at the fly.
Do you know if it is possible that, as in my previous version without using Multires, all the scenes are loaded in cache in one time?
The only reason for me to use Multires is for avoid Ipad crashes, so could be some tips that allow me to resolve both questions (Ipad compatibility + better view experience)?

Thanks for any help.

Luca
JimWatters

Once the panos are visited and the images are cached the transition is much faster.

Flash version has a slight advantage here because all the preview images are embed in the swf file. This changes to a problem when the tour has so many node it takes too long to download.

There are a couple things that is slowing down:
  • You have created a few extra levels that are not needed.
  • Pano2VR will download and display the lower resolution image so the user has something to see right away starting with the preview, then the next resolution to get more detail and again the next level.
  • Having each level twice as wide and tall as the previous is enough to avoid anti-aliasing artifacts. Having more levels than this just means more files to download before the highest level is visible.
Because you have a preview, you could eliminate the Load on Startup. This option forces the entire level to be downloaded and cached before displaying higher resolution tiles. This means the current view direction will display faster, the disadvantage is that when the user rotates those tiles will need to be downloaded.

There is also a switch back to the background color as the cube faces are displayed one after another as soon as each tile is available.
Also see Issue #984,

The main cube face size is ignored and not used, if multiresoluion is enabled.

Because you limit the tilt I find it weird when I zoom out that my view is forced up. Looking at the images I see the entire sphere is there. So I would remove those restraints.