Trouble with "stacked" pans

Q&A about the latest versions
ktshasta

Hi, I'm trying to replicate a panorama view I produced a number of years ago - probably with the old Apple QTVR Authoring tools. I'm stacking two pan images taken at different times, but from the same place, so the view is the same. On this first example that I created years ago, I believe the top pan was cylindrical and the bottom one was a cropped view of a spherical pan.
http://cift.pair.com/shasta/mv/~Sevier/ ... khcba.html

Now I'm trying to replicate this process, but the pan is getting "warped" and after trying a number of different output settings, I'm still not getting the "flat" look like my first pan - more like how you'd see the image in Photoshop scrolling back and forth. Here is the recent pan I've been working on. http://cift.pair.com/shasta/ICL/Owyhee/ ... edPan.html

Does anyone know how I can get the output view I'm looking for?

Thanks!

kt
360Texas

Yes, I see. Thanks for posting the project. Did not look at the QTVR as we do not have a QTVR player.

In your 2nd link it appears that the up/lower panorama is being displayed as Flash.

It appears that the current player projection spherical hence, the spherical distortion.

Did you try loading the original QTVR ?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
ktshasta

Hi, The older pan is viewable with QuickTime - either 7 or 10. If I try to bring that file into Pano2VR, it also gets distorted.

The second newer stacked pan is a Flash file.

I was trying to see if there was a way to convert the input of that QTVR file in Pano2VR, but I'm not sure which of those options to choose. Nothing seems to be working.

If you can imagine a non-distorted look of an image in Photoshop that is stacked onto of an identical image taken at the same place only at different times and you are able to scroll right to left - that is what the older QTVR file looks like.

How can I change the player projection?

Thanks for your help!

kt
360Texas

I did look for one of my old QTVR .mov's and was able to Input it.... and output to a flash .swf and to tiles in HTML5 .xml

I was not able to bring the .mov in as a cylinder, flat, equirctangle. I received pano2vr errors telling me that "I can't do that here".

You are trying to achieve FLAT cylinder and a spherical warped image which involved original stitched image sets using two different types of lenses (wide angle/ fish-eye).

Personally I do not think that Pano2vr can convert them. Possibly you might be able to de-warp the fisheye lens image in PTgui or PhotoShop.

IF you have both stitched wide and stitched NON cropped spherical images you might be able to stack both single using a recent technique called 'day/ night" process. This process uses a slider to fade from before to after panoramas. Let me search the forum.. The one I am thinking about has a slider that moves up/down on the right side of the panorama... that displays a building before and renovation. In the mean time here is one that is day/night - same process using 2 panoramas.

They do have a link to the actual panorama in the list

http://ggnome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... der#p32827
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
ktshasta

Hi, Thanks for helping! I know I must have done this differently than my other QTVRs years ago when I tried it. I just can't remember how!

Actually, what I'm trying to achieve with the newer second stacked pan, is that same "flat" look of the older one. Both of the recent images in the stacked pan were shot with a 17mm lens and stitched in PTGui as equirectangular. I simply cropped off a bunch of the sky and bottom ground on both images before stacking them together and lining them up. The original image is about 18000 pixels wide by 7200 pixels high - not exactly a typical cylindrical size, but it did work before. :)

I've been messing around with PTGui - trying to convert the stacked jpeg image to a bunch of different projections, but none are giving me what I'm after.

I would be interested in this "before/after" process you're talking about.

Thanks!

kt
JimWatters

There is this Forum post on Sets of two, Side by Side and Scroll Bar Fader
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4163
360Texas

On this page you may find a demo .zip project for the side by side comparison panoramas provided by Martin Hopki(ns). Its a free download/ unzip package.

http://ggnome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... ide#p37341
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
360Texas

Thanks Jim
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
ktshasta

Thanks for your help Jim! I'll check out these links!

Have a great day! :D