workflow Speed improvements

Q&A about the latest versions
zap

Hi
Creating 20+ virtual tours can be very timeconsuming, importing, creating hotspots etc.
Mainly because the image size is big and requires rendering to appropriate format etc...

My question
Can we not use lowresolution images, create the tours, elements required with fast process speed (due to low quality image)
and only before rendering the VT linking to the final images

Kind of if you would change the URL of the image ?

Could that be possible ?

Thx
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer
CBosch

Hi,

I've done it that way. I used small images (2000x1000) to create the tour and all hotspots, skins etc.. Then I took the hires-images (16000x8000), deleted the node-correction and made new ones that was all. You have to be sure that all "small" images have the same alignment as the large, otherwise you have to correct the hotspots. I'm not sure if I had to correct true north - but this will be fast done if you note the values from the small tour and just retype them after loading the large images.
Have a nice day

Christian
zap

deleted the node-correction and made new ones that was all. You have to be sure that all "small" images have the same alignment as the large
Sounds simple but honestly I have no clue how you do this ?

perhaps a screenshot would help ?

Thx
CBosch

Hi,

you take your images that you will need at the end, and save them in PS for example in a very low-resolution. This low-resolution you take for your tour. When finished the tour and its settings, you load the high-resolution images by clicking the "select source(?)" button (first on top left in the pano-editor) and select the high-resolution image. Then you can, if not done otherwise correct the bottom node point by clicking the next button below "correction...". If you made a correction in the low-resolution image, then you click first the red "x" (last button right of the correction) to delete the correction and then the "+ Add" to make a new with the high-resolution basic.

If you made your low-resolution images from the high-resolution images, the alignment should be the same. I made new high-resolution images with HDR-shots and PTGui set the image not in the same direction as the shots I used for low-resolution. In pano2VR the high-resolution was turned by 180° so I had to reposition the hotspots and the north-point. The hotspots you can drag and drop in the hotspot-section of the editor.

The north-point you can set in the "display-settings" (second group item on the left in the pano-editor) and there the last section. Turn the pano till you are looking to north, enable the "show north", click the button "set". Now the editor knows where the "magnetic north" of your pano is for a compass or radar for example. If you don't use something what needs a common direction setting in the panos you can skip this work.

Summary: if you use the same basic image which was only saved in different resolutions you have just to change them. In the building phase with the low-resolution you won't have to correct (if not done otherwise) the node (tripod etc). After changed the images make the correction of the node (tripod and other errors if needed) and it is done.
Have a nice day

Christian
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Best practice.
Add full sized images and set multi resolution output. If small input images then only set one level in the multi resolution tab but even 10000 x 5000 will benefit from at least a couple of levels.
Once done output the project, then deselect generate files again found under the multi resolution tab.

From this point on all outputs will only take seconds as no need to to render the output images.
Note if you add/change a patch you will need to generate new multi resolution tiles.

Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
JimWatters

*Edited for clarity*

Also enable Preview images to cache an image the next time the project is opened.

File | Settings | Images | Save Preview Images = Enabled
Experimental | Smart loading = Enabled
Choose I Preview Equirectangular Size and Preview Tile Size you can work with.

With my 3GB graphics and 16 GB memory I can handle 8192X4096 but less memory or faster performance will want a smaller size. The large size is handy for putting hotspots on gigapixel images but 1024X512 or 2048X1024 should be enough for most.

The preview images are saved when the project is saved. Next time it is opened the preview images are used for the thumbnails and pano previews.

Having a Output | Visuals | Download/Preview enabled with multiresolution will still generate the preview each time. If the Preview is enabled in settings then the it will be generated from this instead of the full size pano.
zap

thank you all for your precious input and sharing of knowledge.

Highly appreciated.