[4.5.0 Linux] Unable to use $d

Q&A about the latest versions
LondonLight.org

First of all, it would be great if you provided examples on your Placeholder documentation pages, such as http://ggnome.com/wiki/List_of_Placeholders

Secondly, I wanted to report a bug where I can't really use $d.
http://ggnome.com/wiki/List_of_Placeholders wrote:$d = file path project directory - (use in the file path when saving projects)
What I want to achieve is to save the p2vr to /whitehouse/ovaloffice.p2vr, then to have the XML file created in /whitehouse/whitehouse/ovaloffice.xml with the tiles folder as /whitehouse/whitehouse/tiles
You would think using $d would solve it: in HTML5 output settings set output file to $d/$n.xml and done, except it doesn't work. Pano2VR actually saves inside /whitehouse/, as if $d wasn't here (same result).
I also tried /$d/$n.xml and $d/$d/$n.xml but neither worked.
JimWatters

$d is not meant to be used as part of the saving location for the Output Formats. The documentation could be worded better.

One use of $d is to save modified skins in the same folder as the project. Do a "save as" on the modified skins. Save to the current project folder. Then in the SKIN to be used put $d skinname.ggsk. The $d placeholder tells Pano2vr to look for the skin in the current project folder instead of loading the skin from original skin group folder. - 360Texas

The Output are already relative to the project location.

I have misused some of the fields in the userdata for your purpose. I set the comment field to be the name of the folder I want to save to.

$uo/$p.xml
$uo/$p.html

But if you leave UserData comment field empty, you wont find the generated files.
LondonLight.org

A placeholder is a placeholder, it should be up to the users how they use it :) I just want a variable that expands to the containing folder's name.

If the devs have some different purpose for $d and the documentation is wrong, then consider this a feature request for a $d1 placeholder which expands to the last component of the path, e.g.
/cat/in_a/bag/meow.p2vr
/$d3/$d2/$d1/$f

$d3 = cat
$d2 = in_a
$d1 = bag
$f = meow (no extension)