Tour and map question

Q&A about the latest versions
HaraldJ

Having spent most of the day reading documentation, I might better ask for advice:

I'm creating a virtual tour, and I would like to display a map. The tour is along a river, so it's long and narrow. In an ideal world, the tour would be scalable, to be able show more information on larger screens, and it would support "radar". All this is readily available in Pano2VR Pro - I wonder if there's a way to use similar functionality in a generated virtual tour on the web? Of course I would have to licence Google Maps.

If that's not possible, should a (then perhaps hand drawn) map be in PNG or SVG format?

In the demos, a quite nice button for a map for the Simplex skin is used - Map.SVG. I wonder if that button is available for download?

Thank you very much!
Harald Joergens
Harald Joergens Photography
Nutfield, Surrey, United Kingdom
Don

Pano2vr Pro Flash Flat Images are best at the moment. Watch for Pano2vr Pro Html5 Flat Images in the future.

If you are comfortable with code, i.e. intermediate and advanced, then there are a few other custom solutions, but very code-oriented, and a lot of effort. Those radar do seem unique to GG, so Pano2vr Pro Html5 Flat Images will be worth the wait. Find "flat" here on the road map under Pano2vr version 5.x:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/bt/roadmap_page.php

Google Maps is expensive unless your web site is freely open to the public, and as I recall, Google Maps also require non-commercial. Perhaps your river displays well on Open Street Map (OSM)? It's free, but sometimes lacking in detail:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?que ... 01/-0.3334

Use PNG or JPG for tiled map images. Use SVG for the small icons and lightweight graphics that overlay the tiled map images.
HaraldJ

Hi Don,

Thank you very much, that was useful information! I also found an excellent tutorial on the GardenGnome website.

The resulting panorama, using OpenStreetMap, is HTML5 only at the moment, but it's working, and does what I hope I could achieve.

Thanks again!
Harald Joergens
Harald Joergens Photography
Nutfield, Surrey, United Kingdom