Anyone used the 0-360 Panoramic Optic?

Q&A about the latest versions
petersmall

The 0-360 Panoramic Optic camera lens device seems to be a convenient way to create panos.
Has anyone used this? Is it any good? Any problems or limitations?
360Texas

Are you talking about the plastic ball casing that mounts on the front of a normal lens. Point the camera UP to the ceiling or sky and take a photo. The image result looks like a donut. The lens gear is often called a 1 shot. You need a proprietary conversion software to convert it from a donut shape to a highly cropped cylinder/sphere hybrid. The issue is that it really is not a glass surface optic, Its more just a polished " Front-Surface Aluminum Optical Coating surface which the camera lens can not see beyond or around the "optic?" edge. The hard shell clear case is subject to dust collection which adds to image deterioration. You are limited to placing the camera /0-360 high up to near the room ceiling. You get maybe a 115° angle of view from the ceiling height down to about 60° ^\ down/up angle.. everything outside that 60° and to tripod on the floor is missing thus naming this type an image "Donut". A good diagram can be found on 0-360.com. It shows 52.5° to 62.5° or 115° vertical field of view.

This reflective lens mounted 1/2 conical shaped ball was used several years ago by a small few real estate photographers for taking quick and dirty panoramas . Its initial popularity died out because it produced poor quality images. You might find this device still for sale on Amazon or Ebay. The "Direct from manufacturer price of $595 (or about €438) is more than the price of a real fisheye 180° lens like the inexpensive Rokinon FE8M-c 8mm f3.5 (Amazon $240). Even Fisheye lenses are available iPhone's and smart phones for about $10. (usage mileage will vary).

I have been told that the Samyang 8mm is the same lens as Rokinon just with a different brand name. Both these lenses are manual because they do not have the manufactures pin code chip for the Canon or Nikon camera bodies. So manual focus, aperture is required. You would have to also know the camera body mount type as the mount bracket are different for every camera manufacturers body housing. So it would be Samyang or Rokinon lens for Canon lens mount type.

Just my opinion
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
petersmall

Thanks for your reply. I thought this product might be too good to be true - although the examples on their web site looked really good.
What would you suggest would be the best solution for making 360 degree, indoor panos (houses and shops) - of reasonable quality?
360Texas

Hmmm guess picking a lens would be based on what camera you are planning to use.

Do you already have a camera that uses interchangeable lenses ?
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
petersmall

I plan to buy a camera and lens(es). What would you recommend would be a sensible choice to create reasonable quality indoor panos?
360Texas

sorry for all the questions...

Your profile does not indicate, are you are in the US or UK ?
Do you use a PC or Mac ?
Do you eventually want to do this professionally? Or start create panoramas as a hobby then later consider selling them.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
petersmall

I live in the Uk. I'm working on a project to create a kind of virtual reality market place. I have done this in real life (in London's Carnaby Street) and also in the Second-life environment. I'm now working on the idea that I can do this using panos. I've more or less got the programming and web side sorted out; now I need an efficient way to create the panos. The 0-360 Panoramic Optic would seem to be a good option - at least for the prototype stages, that is why I'm interested to know how good it is. Alternatively, I need a fairly easy to use system to be able to experiment with many types of panos and situations.

About me: http://www.stigmergicsystems.com/stig_v1/contact.html?
zap

I would leave this hobby trash where it belongs and get a decent DSLR beginner model D5100 because of bracketing) with a fisheye lens (Sigma) and a NodalNinja (N10) or the like

ALL other solution is for hobby or testing purpose only.
If you buy cheap you will buy twice.

my 50ct.
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer
hum@no.id

I would leave this hobby trash where it belongs and get a decent DSLR beginner model D5100 because of bracketing) with a fisheye lens (Sigma) and a NodalNinja (N10) or the like
Today, you can use more worthy lightweight and low price solutions with good quality - Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 (Rokinon, Bower) + Micro 4/3 Camera (Sony, Panasonic, Olympus) + Panohead like Nomad
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
zap

hum@no.id wrote: Today, you can use more worthy lightweight and low price solutions with good quality - Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 (Rokinon, Bower) + Micro 4/3 Camera (Sony, Panasonic, Olympus) + Panohead like Nomad
Agree, just wanted to give an example with which you'll find as a beginner a lot of articles and support in the net

camera + wideangel lens + panohead = most used pano equipment
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer