Different interactive projections

Q&A about the latest versions
thatkeith

I really like Pano2VR's ease of use. I own KRPano, which I like but find too fiddly for quick work, and FPP, which I used to like but find inconsistent in usage and behaviour.

What I would really love to see in Pano2VR's output is options for showing different projections. I actually use the 'little planet' projection in KRPano rather a lot. I know it's gimmicky, but I've found that it is a MAJOR crowd-pleaser in a particular sector. I have a KRPano loading script that turns to a specific view, waits a few seconds, then goes to little planet view. I have buttons that return the user to a normal pano perspective, but they can play around in either. I REALLY want to be able to do something like this in Pano2VR!

(I also want to be able to do this in HTML5 pano output. KRPano doesn't support this - is it something that could be done? I know it is pushing things a bit, but surely it isn't beyond the realms of possibility?)

Keith
George Palov

+1
thatkeith

Hi Thomas - any comment? Any thoughts? :D

k
thomas
Chief Gnome

thatkeith wrote: What I would really love to see in Pano2VR's output is options for showing different projections. I actually use the 'little planet' projection in KRPano rather a lot. I know it's gimmicky, but I've found that it is a MAJOR crowd-pleaser in a particular sector. I have a KRPano loading script that turns to a specific view, waits a few seconds, then goes to little planet view. I have buttons that return the user to a normal pano perspective, but they can play around in either. I REALLY want to be able to do something like this in Pano2VR!

(I also want to be able to do this in HTML5 pano output. KRPano doesn't support this - is it something that could be done? I know it is pushing things a bit, but surely it isn't beyond the realms of possibility?)
As with the recent developments (popularity of iPhone/iPad, Windows 8/IE10 only supports Flash in "Desktop mode" and not in the default "Metro mode", no new Flash versions on Android, etc. ) our main focus is now HTML5. Different projections in HTML5 are only possible with WebGL so at the moment this would only work in Chrome and Firefox. I really hope WebGL gets more widely adopted.
What this means: The feature is on the list, but not right at the top.
MfG, Thomas
LondonLight.org

Hello

Could the Pano2VR devs give an update on this? It's actually the only reason I look at krpano with envy. Would be so neat to start a pano zoomed out in a stereographic projection and then zoom into a rectilinear one on pan start!
thomas
Chief Gnome

I can only point out, that IE11, iOS 8 and Safari 8 support WebGL, which is the missing puzzle piece ... :)
MfG, Thomas